View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008, 08:53 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macosx View Post
I mean no offense to anyone and these comments are not directed to any one person - but I simply don't understand the negativity in this thread. Very few of you have likely had much (if any) experience with these guitars. I have no experience with Blueberry guitars but I think they at least deserve the chance to prove themselves on their own merits instead of being derided right out of the gate.
It's called "expressing my opinion".
I never was one for "Oh, Gee Wow, what an interesting looking guitar!!"
One thing I enjoy about finally reaching the age I am is being able to let my "inner crumudgeon" come out.

Come on now. "Grooved Tops"?? Same price as Collings?? Lobster carvings? Begun by some guy on vacation in Bali....produced in Bali with (as far as I can tell) no on site established luthier overseeing production? Built by people who have never built a guitar before?
If something walks on four legs, eats hay, wears a bridle, runs in the Kentucky Derby and leaves behind horse sh*t, it's probably a horse.
I may be 100% wrong about these guitars, but there it is.

Lets look this another way.

The criticism they are receiving can be a good thing for them. It can spurr imrovement.
Lets see Blueberry prove themselves where it counts...guitar shows, stores carrying them, the Established Luthery Community...rather than in paid advertisements and eBay store hype.

And again, why not groove the BACK side of the top?
Heck, I'm no builder, but even to me it seems a simple way to get the same (supposed) affect without having to scour the face (and it would allow them to finish the top rather than leaving it unfinished.)
The fact that nobody at Blueberry seems to have thought of this leaves me in serious doubt as to the "expertise" of the operation.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,