View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 10:08 PM

Hi Six,

I want to say "yes" but I'm afraid it'll strike me about 3 seconds after I say that. (not that I'm the least bit superstitious) ;)

About a year back, we had a big storm, and I was (for some reason) using a pickax and concrete to repair some damage when I somehow let the ax fly and it then found it's way into my elbow, causing tendon havoc. I'm not one for taking those paths that involve words like "you just have to stop using that arm for awhile, like 9-12 months", but as it happens, the doctor was right about that.

I started PT and kept it going for at least 6 months, couldn't play guitar for the first 3-4 months, then asked the PT people to work it into the therapy. Now it's ~a year after those days and it's really only about 3 months ago that I've been back to "normal" playing. By the way: I was "offered" surgery (2 types that involved creating a different path for the tendon) but said "no thanks" and went the PT route. The reason I went that way was that the recovery time after having surgery was said to be slightly longer and still involved cessation of playing.

I guess that since mine came about as a result of being hit by an ax, that it might not be chronic, but it sure is now. It's obvious in the types of pain left over by any gig over 2-3 hours but home "PT" takes care of it the next morning, but at least I can play again and don't feel like disaster is looming constantly. I did feel that way for the first 6-8 months.

Good luck.