View Single Post
Old 03-27-2024, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movehome View Post
I don't know why, but my LL16 (regular/longer scale length) is easier to play than an FG5. The FG5 feels tighter and less responsive to finger picking (Same strings on both). You might not find the shorter scale length to make a significant difference in playability. Other factors are more important, like neck shape and string gauge, and whether you downtune your guitar.

I'd try an LL16 if you haven't. They're amazing. They don't sound like Martin dreads though.

I've had some bad experiences ordering guitars online and making special orders through local shops recently. I'd advice against buying any guitar you can't try in person and can't easily return if you discover something you don't like about it after a few days. Trying guitars in person first and having full-refund return option is really important.

Within Yamaha's line, their new FG9 series would be the guitar that most closely matches to an HD-28 Martin...but...the Yamaha is a fair bit more expensive due to it's much smaller production numbers, and being much more handmade by a very small group of luthiers at Yamaha Japan.

If you are able to afford the higher price tag, that is the Yamaha you should be looking at. They were specifically designed and voiced in the "Martin" sound style, for those players seeking a Yamaha with that Martinesque...tone.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher