View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 05:07 PM

Tomorrow, I get to inspect and try out one of these Groove Blueberries.

I can probably compare it against 2 different 1985 HD-28 Limited Edition Martins, Another buddy is a Collings fan and owns a couple. Two more friends own Timberline guitars built by Kevin Hall formerly of CF Martin Co.
I have my Beneteau as well to cross compare.

I will not be doing any sound clips for everyone to listen to because in my opinion, electronic sound clips do NOT convey the true measure or feel of any guitar.

I do wonder if there is any point however as it looks like the verdict is already in through some form of musical ESP that I have not been able to master as of yet.

I'm quite surprised that the many who went to the Montreal Guitar show did not get a chance to see any Blueberries. I would have thought they would have been represented there as Blueberry is located in or near Montreal.

A good understanding of physics is needed to acertain why a grooved top COULD be beneficial. Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying it is beneficial, only that the deciding factors from a physics point of view when it comes to structure and resonance has the potential to be somewhat dramatic.

Someone mentioned that why not just make the top thicker and avoid all the grooves. I'll just say it is a matter of strength to mass/weight ratio's. I do not think the guitar's top can be tuned like a brace can be but I do think you can get the same amount of structural strength as a regular top with less mass/thickness/wood. If anyone knows any civil engineer's, it could be rather enlightening if you talk to them as to why bridge builders use a similar technique to get strength for their framework. For those unaware, resonance is a major concern for a bridge builder as well as guitar builders but I won't go into reasons here.
Others have eluded to the sloppiness of the Bluebery guitar without ever seeing them. I guess that skill falls into the same category as the musical ESP that I mentioned beforehand.

I too would be hesitant to continue reading this forum if I thought everyone had these amazing skills that mere mortal humans are lacking in but fortunately, it appears I'm not the only one here who lack these skills.
I'll have to wait to see and play the actual guitar before I pass judgement.