View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 04:38 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisC View Post
I'm bumping this thread rather than starting a new one. I just got an Alvarez baritone last week; I absolutely love the guitar (guitar deal of the decade!) but I'm not very happy with the D'Addario EXPs. I don't like their feel (or noise) with nails, and I'd like more body in the 1st and 2nd strings to go with the richness of the baritone.

Hoping the ABT60's popularity is paralleled with new owners' string experiments since this thread started when the ABT60 was just getting to the dealers in numbers. Also...is there a website with strings vs. scale that helps string experimenters?
No additional info to that already given other than you can get string sets made by Strings and Beyond - the larger gauge strings have a minimum of 5 I think - but you can get what you want. I have not yet ordered them but will want to try Martin SP PBs - my string of choice for standard guitars. At this point I still have the D'Ad exp 23s.

But - I do have a website where you can figure out the string tension so you can keep the same overall tension as you change strings and tunings. Here you go -- written by an AGFr I think, and with some fussing around you'll get what you want. You can also build your own spreadsheet from data from D'Addario and others, but you'll have to enter all the tension figures for every string and I've never considered it worthwhile if I can get "close" with a generic tension app... http://70.61.82.118/StringApp/ Doesn't work well with Firefox; I use I.E. if I want it to display clearly.

Best,

Phil