View Single Post
Old 05-16-2015, 02:53 PM

I've had a couple of guitars for most of my playing life (~45-48 years). I've never had any fretwork done on them and I realize that doesn't mean I'm right about what I'm going to say:

I think for me, a person that practices hard and a lot, but plays lightly on gigs, that of course, within one day, I can see dents in most of my frets, and after 30 years, I can see really huge dents but there's something organic about how they completely match the way I play and don't buzz and how it seems to have better play-ability with worn frets than it did with new ones. If I just try to think this through, I feel like there may be some logic to it. The lower frets wear when you're playing lower on the neck, and as they wear, immediately the next fret up starts to wear because that string is just a little increment above that fret. (ad nauseum).. The string not only takes a slightly new path, but a path that I forged for it.

Could that have anything to do with the guitar matching itself to my playing habits? I don't know the answer, but I've yet to feel a need for fret repair. I have installed some zero frets, but nothing else.