View Single Post
Old 10-18-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
The Tacoma Papoose has a 19.1" scale and was DESIGNED for A to A tuning with STANDARD LIGHT GAUGE strings, ie. 012 to 053. I tune mine to the "DADGAD" version of A (that is, GDGCDG) using a custom set of EXP strings (012, 015, 023, 030, 039, 053) that is essentially a "true light" gauge set, that is strings 1, 2 and 6 are light gauge and strings 3, 4 and 5 (which in ALL commercial sets of strings are, in my opinion, over-gauged with far more tension than they need...look at the string-to-string tension on ANY set of strings and see for yourself) are an extra-light gauge.
Thanks Phil. You are right on more frequent using the string tension calculator. Regarding the Papoosa, I have recently purchased a Viellette Avante and although I have not played on the Papoosa I have a hard time believing that the sound quality is going to surpass the Viellette. Although, the Avante is a great and unique sounding guitar it doesn't really offer the sound you get from a terz guitar. The Avante is rather a unique sound of it's own with what I consider 50% of what you can associate with a guitar and 50% of something totally different. So the reason for starting this thread was again to see if a short scale guitar (less than 500 dollars) guitar could be turned into a nashville combined terz guitar. There are many options for this....(although the Fylde prove that the options could be even more):

1) Taylor GS mini
2) Walden 1/2 size (don't remember the model)
3) Sigma TM15 or TM12
4) Martin 5 size of course but then again we are way above the 500-dish dollars limit.
5) Viellette terz (again pricey)
6) Sometimes old Harmony or vintage guitars come up on ebay but you just don't know how far from a repair job these guitars are.

7) There are other traveller size options but I have found their sound to be very boxy.

Thanks for all your comments. I guess I just have to get myself to different shops which may have these guitars and test them out.

/

http://www.youtube.com/user/Frankensmile/videos

Guitars:

1) Greenfield G1 fanned fret (Moon spruce /Malaysian blackwood)

2) Furch Little Jane

3) Loef 12 string high strung parlour