View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 01:20 PM

Default Breedlove bridge saddle shims

Hi I always wondered why Breedlove provides shims for the saddle. Not an issue on the 6 string Breedlove (before it got smashed) but my Korean import
Passport CM250/SMe 12 string needs a little love. Yeah i know send it to a Luthier but I am trying to figure out as much as I can beforehand. Fret buzz starts around the 10th fret more noticeable on the low E and A strings. I checked the relief of the neck which I know how to do and did follow the manual's instruction. Also checked the Bridge Truss system and there is not wiggle or need to tighten. Loosening the truss rod more than optimal still doesn't
remedy anything, so it is time for a string change, might just try the shims provided. It does have a UST which i really don't use except for the tuner, but I am wondering if shimming the saddle which is compensated will affect tone and I bet need to be careful regarding the UST. If I can determine the saddle is too low in spots I guess i could try and find one that would fit, but not quite sure where to look. At this point I am not pointing the finger at the nut just yet. I'll get back my other guitar that went for a bone nut replacement and check what I am looking at price wise for a setup for this 12 string. I just feel it is best to try adjusting and problem solve within my skill set so i can best communicate with the tech if it goes that far.