View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 08:32 PM

This is always a HUGE topic - especially the Elixir Pro/Con debate.

The notion that most Martin players don't like Elixirs is far from accurate. The majority of hard-core professionals I play with like them, and I have them on a couple of my guitars. The main issue is durability; Elixirs are generally very consistent and hold up to heavy play for longer than most other strings. They are also very expensive.

I did a lot of experimentation with my D-35, and settled on John Pearce 80/20 12s. They give me maximum volume, with better trebles to keep up with the D-35's powerful bass. Most other strings on my guitar, especially 13s (mediums), tend to be a little "thuddy." Elixir 12s work just fine, but the JPs are a tad brighter, and last as long as I like to keep strings on the 35 (about 2 weeks).

Sunbeams have a round (rather than hex) core, which makes them feel softer/lighter than the equivalent weight in other strings. They are especially popular with people who are transitioning from playing electric guitar with extra-light strings, or who just like a light-feeling action. I think Martin FX strings are pretty much the same.

Personally, I don't like the feel of the round cores, because it doesn't seem like they are "there" if I really want to dig in. Lots of people are happy with them, though.

The bottom line is, nobody can tell you what string to use. Listen to the opinions of the great people here at AGF, and at UMGF, then experiment and find what floats your boat.

- mike

Playing a resonator guitar is kind of like putting strings on a chrome-plated garbage can, then hitting it with a baseball bat - only it usually doesn't sound as good as that.