View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeybizz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I have 45 years of 'self-teaching' behind me and I'm still learning something new every day, be it about tone production, technique etc. One thing which always helped me was playing with more experienced and competent musicians whenever I could. Being stretched and challenged, rather than staying complacent and static and going over the same old stuff because it's easy, is always beneficial.
I'm still a hack and regret to this day not taking formal music lessons when I was young, learning standard notation and becoming a proper musician.
thats a good point you make...being self taught whenever I pick my guitar up the first thing my hand does is form an E chord and I start playing some blues licks over an E...this is fine, but I do it everytime, I'm not learning anything new here...

So I force my self to form a C#Minor and start jamming in that key instead, mix it up abit...where as a teacher will have you learning new things all the time, as a self teacher you need to make sure you are doing that
Reminds me of a Jerry Garcia interview from the '70's where he stated he spent an entire year starting every musical passage with his pinky so as to both strengthen his pinky and break out of the rut of his playing routine.
Original Martin Backpacker
Little Martin
Lotus Dread (1st guitar)