View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 07:20 AM

Default Self taught guitarists get in here!

As a self taught guitarist of 4 years, I can't believe the progress I have made...I remember my very "first self teaching lesson" 4 years ago with a £5 classical guitar that I bought off my mate to see if I would like it...

Trying to hold an A minor and finger picking house of the rising sun using a beginners guitar book and listening to the track at the same time...20 minutes in I almost snapped the guitar in half

4 years later I'm writing my own songs :-)

Anyways I was wondering what are some of strategies you use to constantly get better..

For me I'm at the point where I've learned basic techniques and theory and so now focus my time on artist and style studies

For example I'm currently spending the next couple of months focusing on folk style acoustic guitarists and have just finished learning and breaking down all of ed sheerans songs...my practice schedule is usually to learn the song...break it down and understand the theory...then play with the song and make it my own....once I've done that I will write an original song in the style of ed sheerann...then I will move onto another artist

What do you think? is this a good way to practice as a self taught guitarist...its quite a scientific and experimental approach I find...