View Single Post
Old 04-17-2024, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTim View Post
Nothing sounds like a good Les Paul through a good tube amp. I have had a few of them. I have also had a heritage h150..those are very nice guitars.

I would suggest playing both the 50s and 60s neck profile.

My heritage had a 50s neck feel.

I have owned an 81 and 2008 Les Paul custom and 2 Les Paul Traditionals......a 1994 studio and a 90s Les Paul special.

I currently have a custom shop 1957 reissue and it is by far my favorite electric guitar ever.

Pay attention to the Gibson classic Les Pauls as you can find one of those pre owned that is a bit easier on your wallet.

And do not get fooled by the standard, traditional and classic line up....they are all the same guitar just with a few different features

And if you do not like all of the split coils and such on some traditional and classic models....well just take them out and put in what you do like instead.

I thought for years that I preferred the 60s neck profile......until I played one of the larger 50s profile necks.....and now I am hooked.

I find that I am able to chord easier with the fatter neck......my wrist and finger joints seem to like it better as well.

I still have a few other guitars as well......but my r7 is my favorite..not sure if you have thought of the SG....but...you may like those as well....just an idea.
Thanks for all the thoughts, appreciate your perspective on the necks in particular. I tried an SG again today, it’s been a couple of years. Same feeling, pretty nice but everything feels shifted to the left. Heavy neck and my fretting hand doesn’t sit in the right place. I’m sure I’d adapt but I’m looking for reasons to eliminate options, and that seems like a fair one. Just not as natural for me to play. The weight is sure nicer.