View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRSpilot
Okay guys my first taylor is comming in tomorrow after noon. Its a big baby! Im really excited but I really want to take care of it. Ive seen and heard many stories of taylor tops and backs cracking because the wood was allowed to dry out. Even though only the top is hard wood Im going to keep it properly humidified.

I live in Arizona and right now the humidity is in the 20's. Not good. What do you use to keep the guitar happy? Im looking more for sound hole humidifiers or case humidifiers.

dude, I am in Tucson. Swamp cooler running from end or april thru mid oct. during this time, as i keep my martins in their cases when not being played, i use absolutley no dampits or case humidifiers. i have a hygrometer on the wall of the room where they are kept and it is usually way above 50%. HOWERVER, as soon as the swamp is turned off for the season, round mid october thru end of april, I use a Dampit(those snakey sponges inside of a green rubber sheathing-about 15-17 bucks in most guitar shops) hung inside the soundhole while the guitar is in the case for the rest of the year(late fall-early spring). even when the hygrometer reads sub 30% humidity, the case humidity remains at an aceptable % level.

I used to keep the dampits in all year round, and realized that I was overhumidifying. southern AZ can be deceiving, as most folks think that cause it is so dry all year round that they need to me humidifying, yet we fail to realize the swamp cooler is just a giant humidore.

But, If you use A/C, well that is entirely different and will make the environment very dry, much like winter heat. My post only addresses SWAMP COOLERS. If I had A/C, I'd be using the dampits all year long.

Still, drop by our local radio shack or ace hardware and get a cheap hyprometer, about 9 bucks. hang it on the wall, and then you have actual measurements to base your decisions on. Ideal humidity % is 45-50. You got to start to wonder when the % hits either below 40 or above 50. Danger zones would be sub 30 and above 60. The guitar case is a great equalizer. Considering my swamp cooler, the room where I keep the guitars in their cases could use a de-humidifier during the swamp months. But that is a bit too much effort for me. But I wouldnt rule the de-humidifier out druing swamp cooler motnhs as I get older and wiser, even more patient.....The cases rarely if ever hit the danger zones, and my greater concern is with too dry vs too damp.

Simple rule I use re my old Martins, which I care deeply about:

1. Keep in case when not being played, regardless of the time of year.
2. Keep a good eye on my hygrometer daily
3. As soon as the room % dips below 40%, use the dampits.
4. When the % remains above 40%, I apply nothing other than rule #1.
5. Play the guitars everyday, keep them happy.

I used to stress out about humidity and dryness till I listened to others on this wonderful AGF and bought a hygrometer/hydrostat. Now I worry less and have a lot more fun. Also the Taylor website has a tremendous amount of info re dryness, dampness and humidity, and they dont care what guitar you own, and that is something I really appreciate about that company. I will repay them one day by purchasing one of their guitars.

Good luck!

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r

Last edited by woodruff; 10-04-2006 at 09:26 AM.