View Single Post
Old 12-30-2015, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative1 View Post
I am a newbie, been practicing for about 1 1/2 years on a new Blueridge 143. Happy with the progress I am making. But I do have a question: I'm not sure I'm using correct verbiage here so bare with me...I have heard acoustics that sound very warm, not at all what I would call twangy. My 143 is a little twangy, not enough to give me buyer's remorse. My 143 is a 000 - I wonder if it does not sound as warm because of the size of the guitar versus say a dread, the type/weight of the strings, the difference in manufacture inherent to the brand, I believe it also needs a setup again and that may be contributing. How can I get a more warm sound out of my guitar? I'm not expecting miracles, I have what I have, what I could afford. I just need some advice/education on what is involved with the sounds I get compared to other guitars and what little I might be able to do to adjust. Also I find it interesting that I wonder what my guitar sounds like in front of it compared to what I think I am hearing from behind it as I play.

Hi C1...

Everything you've discussed seems easily addressable.

Here are some thoughts...
  • Ask someone else to play your guitar so you can hear it from in front of it (or record it).
  • Thicken your pick, and/or play more over the soundhole to warm up the sound some.
  • Try some 80/20 non-coated strings, and step them up one weight if it still needs warming.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…