View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 11:19 AM

I look at it this way...the signature or limited edition guitars, when purchased new, are generally not that much more than a comparable model that is not a limited edition. In my case, I am a huge, huge Jimmy Buffett fan. I have the option of getting a D-18V or getting an HD-18JB which is a very similar guitar with a few upgrades, but hand signed, and limited in edition and a collectors item for a few hundred more. Why would I not get the limited edition guitar which is the best of both worlds to me??? That way, I have an awesome guitar plus a collector piece. Bonus!!

This is not to mention the fact that many of these limited edition guitars do appreciate greatly in a short period of time. The DM3MD Dave Matthews guitar routinely goes for 2-3 times its orginal MAP. The Buffett models routinely go for $5k plus. A Gordon Lightfoot model had a street value of $2,500 new and recently went for over $9k on Ebay. The Tom Petty's, Stephen Stills, and many others have also appreciated greatly.

The point being that these guitars are not just collectors items; they are excellent guitars as well. Whether you see the value is for you to decide, but there is obviously a very active market for these instruments. Some might buy them to collect, other might buy them to play. I buy them for both reasons.
Martin 000-JBS
Martin LX Jimmy Buffett
Martin DM3MD
Martin D-16GT
Martin Sigma DR-41