View Single Post
Old 04-24-2024, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Default Bought a Tone Traveler

Finally took the plunge after seeing the favorable reviews over the past year. I have a new guitar and a new-ish guitar. Hoping the TT makes a noticeable difference with both. We shall see.

First up is a new TaylorCustom GA in Maple/Sitka. The guitar defied my opinion of maple guitars. It sounds warm with amazing sustain but is lacking in volume.

RESULTS: After 18 hours….definitely louder. Confirmation bias, perhaps, but it’s not a little louder, it’s much louder. Downside is the extra volume brings out the maple sound characteristics, ie, a bit brittle on the trebles. It currently has Stringjoy strings (which I don’t like) so a string change to something else might help. I’ll wait a few days, then put it back on the TT for another session.

Next up, 2019 Ryan Nightingale with Waterfall Bubinga/Englemann. Though 5 years old, it has not been played much. Prior owner was a collector I think, so it was mint when I received it. I haven’t played it much because…well, look at it. I don’t want anything to happen to it. Too much money involved and too pretty.

This is a LOUD guitar to begin with. Several people have told me it’s perhaps the loudest guitar they’ve played. Good tone, great sustain, but it’s a bit woofy on the bottom end. I’m hoping the TT will open it up. I’ll give it about 8-10 hours on the TT. Side note, I couldn’t hear the Taylor in other parts of the house when it was on the TT but, with the Ryan, I can sense a low rhythmic resonance almost everywhere in the house. I think it’s resonating the walls or the HVAC ducts or something.

RESULTS: after 8 hours. When I took it off the TT last night I thought I detected a slight improvement. A little more focused in the mid range, no difference in trebles and little to no difference on the low E string, still a little woofy. This morning, I played the guitar some more. Honestly, if there was any improvement, it is very subtle. I’ll try another session in a couple of days.

Next up: PRS P20E, laminated mahogany back and sides, solid mahogany top. It’s about 3 years old and barely played. Barely played because it sounds pretty bad. Like a little guitar with a towel tucked into it. If the TT makes ANY discernable difference at all, then it is a miracle worker. I don’t have high hopes.

RESULTS: After 23 hours. Maybe a little sweeter. Definitely more sustain, which is easy to notice because the guitar had virtually no sustain before. Make the guitar a little better? Possibly. Transform it into a “good” guitar? Nope.

Next up: Taylor Custom GC, short scale, 12-fret, mahogany back and sides with torrified Sitka top. This is a fine sounding guitar, about 3 years old, been played quite a bit. Perfect for fingerstyle Celtic pieces. It can handle a pick/strumming if you don’t push it too hard. It is a bit on the quiet side. Let’s see what the TT can do with it.

RESULTS: after 8 hours. I didn’t expect much change with this one as it has a torrified top, is several years old and been played quite a bit. Surprisingly, I can hear a clear difference. It’s slightly louder and more responsive. I like the improvement.

——

Last edited by K20C; 04-27-2024 at 02:31 PM.