Thread: too old
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan daniels View Post
im 30, and i already feel too old,
at what point does it become easier to accept that you're never going to be the genius artist that you aspire to? some days i feel like packing it all in...
Usually that happens around 35, so you're still a bit early with it.
For me it only changed my initial goal, from trying to be famous I moved on to trying to be a knowledgeable musician.
At some point in my life I also hoped to be a games programmer but it was impossible to compete with commercial softwarehouses with large teams of programmers who had proper programming educations or just enough luck to be hired.
My new goal became to gain more understanding in programming and I just kept at it, moved on through anything I could lay my hands on and had time for to study. A few years ago I was asked to join a team but I declined as I felt I had become too old to get involved in something as hectic as commercial games programming. I'm still a programmer in my own time, having a once in a lifetime oppertunity to rewrite the sourcecode of a once very popular flightsimmulator. There's not many people interested in it anymore but it's a blast to be able to it, it will never lead to a revival of that game but the point is that I'm acquiring even more knowledge.
It's the same with music, after app. 45 years of playing you simply don't throw in the towel because the hope of fame vanishes, there's much more to music then just that. On top of this only a few will make it and the rest have to be satisfied with playing in pubs and/or jamsessions.
If you have other interests you might switch to another thing then guitar play but I've always focused on the above two things.
Life would be kind of empty if you don't have a goal, the goal to acquire more knowledge is just as good as the goal to become famous. It just doesn't pay as good but it's no reason for me to give up on what I set out to do and have fun doing it.

Ludwig