View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 11:40 PM

Wow everyone, thanks for the positive support and compliments! I'm very pleased with my first night with the guitar--I'm becoming accustomed to it, (i.e., its responsiveness, dynamic range, size, etc)

@Wooglins -- Thank you for your kind words, although, judging by your list, you have quite a few guitars I wouldn't mind taking home for a week or two...or a month...or much longer than that.

@riorider -- Thanks for noticing the subtleties. I definitely chose my binding and purfling carefully, I wanted it to match. For you to notice the consistency is gratifying...probably not 1/100 would notice. Although, I'm not surprised you did, as this is a Taylor Guitar forum.

To answer your first question, yes, they are chrome.

About how it sounds, it sounds lovely. However, until I play it for a few months, I won't really have a definitive take on how it sounds. You see, I'm using to playing a Taylor 110ce (2006), so I'm accustomed to a boomy, loud, and bright dreadnought tone that comes from the Mexican factories. This guitar is a new experience; it's forcing me to adapt as a player, pay attention to it for what it is (an indie rosewood GA, not a DN), and adjust to the subtle complexities that inevitably come with a fine instrument. Right off the top though, I would say it sounds warm, rich, and Taylor-like. Haha, does that help at all?

@ewalling -- Many thanks. I appreciate your spruce comment...for the longest time I couldn't decide between Englemann and Sitka--I went with the latter because I feel my bone-tone digs in too hard for the former. And it's funny that you mention Martin, because my friend has a fine Martin guitar, and the playability of this instrument vaguely reminds me of that instrument. Nice comment.

@wooglins -- This may be my favorite response. I am so pleased with the way the headstock turned out, overall. The phrase "understated elegance" perfectly describes what I see; glossy black ebony headstock, cindy inlay, and shiny chrome tuners. I think it looks slick, and I'm not much of a gold guy, so I went with my gut on that one!

Here's a question for all of you: any tips on adjust from a dreadnought 110 to this beautiful instrument? It's going to take some work. My style is mixed, including folk, a little blues, and modern singer/songwriter. What do you all think?

Thanks again for the kind words--