View Single Post
Old 03-27-2024, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Steve I admit I was only reiterating what I have read/heard for years = that with no plugin processing involved at all in the file ,,most if not all DAWs will null, are you saying that is incorrect ?

And I admit I do not know what you are saying here --- "You have to apply some processing to engage the summing engine to know how the DAW will fare. What do you mean by "you have to apply some processing to know how the DAW will fare" are you saying you have use some plugin processing ?
I always understood that as soon you add any plugin processing, that all bets were off and the files will likely not null Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying ?

differences are introduced the moment you introduce change that needs to be reconciled by the summing engine. In my example it was changing the gain on 2 stereo tracks by +/- 3dB. But there are no plugins involved. I am just using the DAWs mixer to make gain changes.

My understanding is that with just unity playback (no gain change, no pan change, no plugins) you shouldn't hear a difference & any DAW should null. I didn't specifically test that, though, so there is room for surprise. It's the addition of math that begins to cause discrepancies (and by math I mean adding and/or subtracting gain).

Is that making sense?

When I get some time I will share the files for everyone. If nothing else, it's an interesting exercise to see how people perceive the differences.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele