View Single Post
Old 03-13-2024, 03:35 AM
Guitar Gourmet

No-one knows what the future holds as far as catastrophe is concern, so it can be precipitous to say "never." However circumstances, rather than perfection, may make a guitar hold a special place in your heart.

I've got a 1974 Kalamazoo-built Les Paul Standard, from before the "Standard" model existed in the catalogs. I saved every spare penny for three years to buy it used in 1977. It has decades worth of memories in it. When my young family had financial struggles I repeated offered it up to sell to give the family money but my lovely and brilliant wife refused to allow me to. One of my sons has dibs on it.

In 2000, my lovely wife gave me the guitar of my dreams, a 1999 Taylor K14c, for our twentieth anniversary. It was started on the last day of production of the twentieth century and was one of the two last K14cs built without the "New Technology" neck. A couple of years ago I took it for a refret and due to finish issues it ended up staying away for a year and going back to El Cajon, where the finish issues were fixed.

Around Christmas of 2007, my lovely wife somehow figured out that I admired a particular Gibson ES-335. On Christmas Eve she sat me down at the fireside and had me open a tiny little box. Inside was a note saying she would take me the day after Christmas to buy that guitar. I was walking on clouds for thirty-six hours. it has since become the center of my studio kit. That's it, photo-bombing the Tele below:

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)