View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
I don't disagree with this, Ed.

The following question is; Is this okay, or should someone's (manufacturer, retailer, etc.) standards be higher than just catering to what I would call the "lowest common denominator"?

Should the retailer be better at educating the customer about what a good and proper set-up is? Can the manufacturer deliver a better more consistent product in this regard?

Are there retailers out there that love guitars, feel a responsibility to the customer/player, and can still figure out a way to be profitable?

...or should we just shrug our shoulders, and pretty much ignore (or mock) the actual needs of the player?
Kind of in the order asked...

No, but lowest common denominator is about the best one could expect... until we start going into higher end entries. There I expect QC issues (including setup out of the box) to be better. Some of the higher end factory guitars (Martin, Taylor, Collings, etc.) are priced right there with small shop builders and I'd expect them to compare in workmanship and materials.

The retailer as knowledge source, yes. Except "we" as a customer base have collectively accepted the "best price" model. The manufacturer with higher QC, yes. Except "we" as a customer base... ...model and have proven that

Retailers who are passionate and still in business, yes. They are there but woefully far and few between.

I don't know the real numbers so these are just speculation, I'd bet the cheap low end guitars (sub $1000) equal (in dollars) the mid to high end guitars (i.e. over $1000) sold. The customer/player has spoken and the "system" has answered. Sadly.

ps: not arguing or saying it is right, just stating how I see it.

Ed