View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzicMaKen View Post
I do believe it...I use them.....

Larry, I like everyone else respect the heck out of you and know you know your stuff and my reply is in no way intended to be disrespectful to you, but there is no need to try to make us look like idiots with your comments, because we disagree with you...

Those who disagree have been belittled by your comments. IF I didn't believe in the guitar I wouldn't have bought it.

So please instead of belittling us or looking down on us...maybe educate us in a respectful way..I don't disagree that some would like a truss rod for whatever reason they have, But for those of us who bought CA guitars bought them because we knew they didn't have a truss rod as well as other reasons...I have had one of my CA"s for some time and the only "maintenance" I've had to do to them was change strings...
But I also see and understand your point of view on the issue of a truss rod.

Like I said you're a respected person around here and I've learned a few things from your posts, but there is no reason to disrespect some of us...I admitted I am not knowledgeable on the technical side or the science of guitar making, but I do know how to thoroughly inspect a guitar to my liking.
I'm sure you believe in the guitar...I believe in most of the purchases that I make.

Even stainless steel frets will require replacement, over time. When they do, you will discover that to replace them is more expensive than with standard fretwire...but you seem unaware that the guitars will require re-fretting, after enough playing time. Prior to that, a fret-dress will also be more expensive, due to the stainless steel frets.

There may be other maintenance issues that crop up over time, and these have been mentioned on the two current CA/Peavey/Cargo threads...but most have chosen to ignore these issues (changing neck-relief with different gauge strings, etc.).

I am not disrespectful of you, nor of your choice. Re-read my other posts.

I only am interested in the truth beyond the market-speak.

The first Cargo I purchased was defective, and replaced by CA. This was early-on after the Cargo was introduced. It was outside of even their specs for neck-angle, and the guitar could not be set-up properly by anyone. I was pleased with the customer service on the replacement, but not pleased with the product itself...nor the replacement.

I do not know if the instrument I returned was destroyed or re-sold.

I also received a Cargo from another retailer that was cracked along the area where the body meets the neck. This was just after CA had closed their doors, so while the retailer refunded my money, I have no idea if he ever received compensation for a guitar that was essentially broken and un-repairable.

I greatly respect what CA tried to do. I have called the Cargo "brilliant" and "genius" in concept on this thread and others.

Disregarding the fact that problems can affect these guitars is not something I am capable of...and much of my posting on these threads has pointed this out...that problems can and do occur.

Your post stated that CA guitars never require maintenance.

This is simply not true...nor are their necks as "stable" (as you stated) as CA would have had you believe, when they were open for business.

These are the realities of the world.

There is no real need to "defend" your choice with the CA product, but if you do choose this path, it's best to fully understand what can and does happen to these guitars.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner