View Single Post
Old 11-03-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
Again, people... NECK PROFILE (and radius for that matter.)

You can't really talk about so-called "direct" comparisons of 1 11/16" vs 1 3/4" nuts without including the neck profiles. It's a HUGE (probably the biggest) part of the equation.

So "guitar A had a 1 11/16" and guitar B had a 1 3/4" and I preferred guitar B"... doesn't really mean anything.
I really am appreciating this thread. I also appreciate this emphasis on neck profile. Since I don't play that well, I keep looking for that little edge in a guitar to help me play better. I started doing a lot of thumb over bass, and my small hands, coupled with blunt fingertips (seems almost wrong to call them "tips") means I either dampen individual strings in the middle of the fretboard, or the fat side of my hand dampens the high E string. As I work to try and make this better, I have begun to focus on neck profile. (If I could improve my form, that would help also)

I picked up a headless electric guitar at the recent Boutique Guitar Showcase, noticed how fat the neck seemed to be at the first fret and thought, "I can't play that." I took it down anyway, and I could hit that F chord or F7 wrap around with no issues. "How can I manage that?" The manager of the showcase came over and told me that the neck profile at the first fret was asymmetrical. The maker had made it a "half V" I guess, for lack of a better term. He had taken the fat off the neck on the treble side. I was very surprised at the impact on my fretting hand.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....