View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 09:42 PM

I believe the lack of a definition of what "opening up" means creates a lot of mis-information when discussing the aging of a guitar. A guitar doesn't all of a sudden snap into a better tone, it's not a light switch. It's a gradual process over many years involving different features of a guitar, such as the materials, glue, lacquer, tension, climate, history, or repairs. When a guitar is new, there is a big change in a guitars tone as the glue cures, the lacquer cures, the wood adapts to tension and climate, and the geometry of the instrument settles. After 2 to 3 years, these changes settle down and the guitar stabilizes. What comes after is the magic, the change of age. After 30 to 40 years, there is a change that can only be explained by age. It is a relaxed tone, open, mature, it has what my son jokes with me about "old man strength". He is bigger and stronger, but I can still kick his butt. Can't be explained but it does exists. Opening up does not mean Vintage tone. Guitars do improve with age, just like me.

........Mike

Last edited by Guest316; 09-20-2015 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Edited out masked profanity