View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Default How to enhance solo live sound

I am wanting to enhance my live sound for a tour of listening houses. Folk, Americana, singer-songwriter type thing. Small crowds, generally less than 100 people. (Sometimes only a few, haha.) Me and acoustic guitar, solo, usually. I might sometimes have sidemen… acoustic instruments, perhaps a bass player (either electric or upright). I have done many shows as a trio. But again, we are talking about listening venues. Primarily, I am concerned about solo sound. If it's just me and a guitar and I, especially, need the best sound I can get, whatever that is. I play everything from Johnny Cash type stuff to James Taylor-ish to Steve Earle-ish.

How should I go about this? I am at a point in my life where I have some money and the best sound I can get is what I want. Within reason. I'm no great guitarist, not a great singer, I just get by and hope my songs are exceptional. And... I love hearing good sound! Do people hire sound experts to help them sound their best? So many variables! Where would I find such an expert?

Type of mics, type of mixer, sheesh. What types of effects? Is there no other way other than years of trial and error?

vocal mics
pre
guitar pickup/mic
pre / DI
mixer
speakers
effects units

I have learned alot about favored systems through forums. But then I gotta know how to dial it in once I buy something. And I don't have that expertise, I'm a songwriter.

So, we're talking about quite a few variables. If you're wanting to sound decent, I got decent already. I don't want to sound decent, I want to sound as good as I can.

For instance, I have a baritone voice. Think Johnny Cash (on some songs). You need to enhance your strong points. And as I said, I am not a great singer, neither was Johnny Cash, but it's unique. So, on those types of songs, enhancing the deepness, making it richer, fatter... better... and I suppose only trial and error can identify "better."

And then there is my guitar(s). How do artists figure this out?

I thought... if I can find this expert, wherever he is, I could buy a bunch of used stuff (or even new, depending on return policy), try it out with his guidance and whatever I don't end up using, sell it.

EDIT: Gear I have:
Martin D35, no pickup (yet)
Taylor Baritone 8-string, Taylor expression pickup sys
Bose L1/sub (sounds good!)
PA, two cheap 10" powered spearks (sound good!)
Behringer Eurorack 1222FX mixer
ART tube pre-amp
Mics: Audix OM5, Shure 57, Samson Q7 (all sound good to me)

Last edited by LiveMusic; 02-08-2010 at 02:29 PM.