View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Well, I ended up buying it, and got a chance today to clean her up a little and put some fresh strings on her. Once my luthier gets back from Montreal, I'll have him look it over and give me an idea about whether the frets can be dressed, or if he'll have to replace the first 4 or 5. The rest of the guitar looks to be in good shape, although it's definitely been played alot - but no complaints from me.

Interestingly, I never even noticed the 1-11/16" nut, which I tend to stay away from - on this neck, it doesn't feel tight. The inlays are very tasteful, and the back has a fascinating multi-color centerstrip, while the front has standard herringbone binding around the outside, but the double pearl rosettes around the oversize soundhole. I hadn't looked inside, but it does have a couple dozen signatures in black ink on the soundboard, including large ones from C F Martin and Lester Wagner, as well as the signatures on the label - Tone seems to me to be classic Martin - no complaints there, for sure!

These pics aren't very good, but the best I could do today. Once I have had it gone over and played it a bunch more, I'll try to take some better ones-

Thanks to everyone for the info and encouragement. This is my first Martin, and the second dreadnaught I've ever owned (the first went away in days), but this may yet turn out to be a long term keeper! Tad

Dang Tad you have really gone through lots of guitar changes in the last month or so... I bet its confusing. You have let several go from some posts I have read. I think this will be a nice compliment to your Cruz, louder than your Larrivee's and just an overall great fit to the herd.

Interesting you did this as I have been posting over at the UMGF for an older D28. I will be looking at a 91 soon. I think it will be a great counterpart to my D/PW custom. Two different guitars. Not sure what got me started on it... I guess I started thinking of how many musical careers were cut using a D28 and it just went from there. Great catch you have there... Come over to SCGC players forum and tell us about how it compares to the Cruz. I bet Magwa will be excited...and jealous

CONGRATS!!!!