View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 10:13 AM

Brian, welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknblues View Post
I would say this is a very typical experience. I too have spent time playing guitars in the store that seemed to be a good match for me, but the real test was getting it home and spending a day or two to really get to know the guitar. Some worked out and some didn't. Sometimes I was lucky enough to find out within the return period, but often I found out later and had to sell the guitar. This is all part of the journey of playing/buying guitars!
It is indeed. A few years before I picked up the Martin brand, I noticed a new 000-42 at the local GC. As usual when shopping at GC, I asked my sales rep if the guitar has been on any 30-day trial periods where things could get compromised, and I was assured that it has not been sold before. So I bought it, and took it home. After a few months I realized that it was almost identical to my 000-28EC, and although I love the 42 series inlays, I already had an OM-42 so I decided to sell the guitar. My rep actually offered to take it back even though I was well past the 30 day trial period, but I didn't think it was right for someone to get a "new" guitar that I've been playing for a few months, so I listed it on our pre-owned section.

Bottom line, there is no way to know if a guitar will work out in the long run, and while longer trial periods seem to be the answer, how long is too long?

Here is a poll I started about this last year. As you can see, the members here would rather not buy a guitar sold as new that has been in someone's home for weeks on end.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=381953