View Single Post
Old 04-28-2024, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
Most 5G cellular internet delivers average download speeds of 100 mbps. My cable internet is 1200 mbps. I’m glad you’re able to work with a 5G connection but that wouldn’t work for my needs. My ISP is pretty reliable though.
There are distinct types of 5G, and the common phenomenon of fixed broadband service advertising the fast often 300 Mbps or better is marketing crap without a QOS (quality of service) agreement few will pay for. A fast connection between your site and a switch or head location in the neighborhood can't get the overall performance most need across the Internet. It can be sufficient if edge computing is present and that's it.

It might not work for your needs, but you are doing a disservice or possibly misleading people if they have a location where the top tiers of performance are available.

If someone is in a tough location where fixed (wired) and what the ISP offers for wireless are not working well they can also get better hardware. For example, an Ethernet cellular modem instead of the low cost but often sufficient gear the popular carriers give you. The hardware popular carriers have for first tier or business products are typically $1100 - $1800 vs 1/4 or 1/3 that for home.