View Single Post
Old 08-16-2017, 01:45 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Interesting. Again, I can only comment on the one x20 I have access to, and certainly can't comment on Emerald consistency, but the dozen or so CA's in my store right now all have a more rounded, C shape (what Taylor calls the T5 shape) neck profile than the x20, which has a definite flat spot on the back of the neck. Current Taylor necks actually have a bit of a V shape hump in the back.
Ok, I have my '02 Taylor 814c, '08 CA Cargo and '17 Emerald Chimaera 6/12 before me right now. Looking closely at them while considering the reference neck images, I would say they are all C shape. However, I have just measured the depth of each at the 7th fret from the edge of the fretboard to the round of the back of the neck with the Cargo being 3/4", the Taylor being 13/16" and the Emerald 6-string neck being 3/4" and the 12-string neck being 7/8". So my guess that my Taylor sits in the middle turns out to be exactly right. This said, although the Cargo neck and 6-neck of the Chimaera measure the same depth, the Cargo does feel ever so slightly flatter across the back, even if it's not. So therefore, although I said they are all C so far as I can tell, there is likely a very slight builder-specific variation. Not scientific, but there you have it.