View Single Post
Old 03-10-2024, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat1 View Post
This would be for living room bluegrass get togethers. The double bass player might drop by more often if there was a bass for her to play! I'd fool around on it too no doubt. I'd appreciate recommendations thanks!
I have a good friend who is a serious upright player. A few years ago I went to see the bluegrass band he was playing with at an outdoor venue. They had already started before I arrived and I thought about how good his bass sounded as I approached where they were playing.

I was more than a bit shocked to see him playing a Kala U Bass through his Acoustic Image bass amp. I'm not sure which model he was playing through, but it had a bottom-firing driver. The combination was a totally convincing upright impersonation.

Your bass player might be much more quick to adapt to a fretted bass, though. There are many to choose from, like the Taylor GS Mini bass or others in that short scale fretted size.
Any short scale bass would be an easy thing to play, and something like an Ibanez Mikro would also do nicely. I picked up an almost new Mikro for $50 on Craigslist and was very pleased at the quality and how easy it was to play.