View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Randy, I was messing around this evening, and made my first multi-track recording with a Zoom H4nPro. The X20 is the main guitar in that post (see the latest post on the "Sophie's Choice" thread. Listen to it with a decent set of headphones - nothing plastic or boxy about it.

You may want to define "a good wood guitar"... a Yamaha? A Martin? A Taylor? Which model? Maybe a Froggy Bottom? There is an endless selection of "good wood guitars," and none of my carbon fiber guitars sound like those I mentioned. Well, I have compared my X20 very favorably to my Taylor 814ce... both very nice guitars. But, they don't sound the same. Just like any two nice wood guitars won't.

I am with you that buying ANY guitar with the idea that you'll just send it back if it doesn't make you happy isn't a good way to go about it. I don't want to suggest to you that any carbon fiber guitar is going to please your ears. I have gone into my on-line guitar purchases with the idea that I will be happy with the sound. Most have needed a bit of tweaking to please my fingers (the X20 and the 814 are the exceptions - delightful right out of the box), but I haven't been disappointed with the sound of any of them. Of course, I didn't expect any of the carbon fiber guitars to sound like wood... they each sound like a great carbon fiber guitar.

I think you are putting too much pressure on yourself to pick "the one" from YouTube videos. All the carbon fiber guitars you are considering have been owned and enjoyed by folks on this forum. They are proven commodities. Asking others to compare "this one to that one" would be like having others pick out a car for you. The right one has to stir you. With the amount of angst you are projecting, I don't think you're ready to buy... you don't want any "what if" nagging doubts.

Good luck with the search.

Jim