View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 08:53 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
OK, I will try to refine the question. It is purely an educational question because I like what I like, but I have grown to prefer 1 11/16 nut width. But I like to play mostly capoed up into the 2nd to 5th fret level.

Does the string spacing change incrementally so that a 1 11/16 nut capoed at 3 begin to more closely approximate to the spacing of a 1 3/4 capoed the same?

I have friends who play my 1 11/16 guitars without capo and remark it feels a little narrow for them........But, when I have them capo up even to 2 they said the difference seemed to go away???
Not sure what the exact measurements are at the third fret, but capoing it up there basically moves the nut up there, and the strings ARE wider there (the entire fretboard gets wider as you move towards the saddle), making it closer to 1 3/4" width....so it makes sense that it wouldn't feel as narrow when capoed.
The fretboard width there may very well be 1 3/4". You can measure it and find out.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,