View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 02:49 AM

Quote:
It's almost glass like in clarity
You are describing a sound I associate with Graph Tech saddles. Maybe you could try one on the Alvarez and report back.
Quote:
If you use a bolt on butt joint you can make the neck block smaller
I never have liked the butt joint, because that leaves very little wood in the heel to attach a bolt. Those threaded inserts that Taylor used can pull out, because they are so shallow, and threaded into end grain. If you insist on a butt joint, insert a hardwood dowel vertically in the heel and thread lag screws into it, ala Collings.
In addition, I tended to make stronger neck blocks when I used bolt-ons, because the stress is concentrated at the bolts. It does not necessarily mean a larger block, however. I got the strength by laminating a 1/4" thick cross-ply of maple on the face of a thinner, wider neck block. The total weight was no different than a dovetail block, but the weight of the bolts did make a difference.
As I indicated, I prefer smaller lag screws (like Collings), versus the 1/4" hex head machine screws that Martin and Taylor use. IMHO, the machine screws are probably 10 times stronger than they need to be, and much heavier than the lag screws. For that matter, you could use #10 or #8 machine screws and save considerable weight.