View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crissman View Post
I'm picking up this thread long after it's beginning. I'm trying to read through the total tension amounts on the EXP 16's vs. the SCGC low tensions... am I reading that they are nearly the same?
Yes... But even though the total tension is nearly equivalent, the individual tensions are different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crissman
Second, and perhaps more importantly, are Straight up strings that much lower tension than either EXP 17s or SCGC med. tensions as some of these numbers seem to be saying? Thanks for your help!
They are, but SUS has more options in tension: light medium and heavy.

I've done a lot of string changes on several guitars since these posts: alternating between SC, SUS, Pearse, Martin and D'Addario and find that after several hours/days of playing, I can get used to most any of these strings. The sound is so very subjective, varying with the humidity, the venue, the age of the string, and the wax build-up in my ears��.

As for feel, I like the smoothness of the SCGC strings and the 'bendiness' (ductility, I suppose) of the SCGC and SUS strings. Longevity, too, is subjective, but the SCGC and SUS being coated, do last longer.

So, YMMV.

Best,

Rick

PS- I have asked many luthiers and checked out many sites about what strings come with their guitars. The answer is almost always D'Addario or Martin (of course SCGC uses their own strings). Without belaboring the point and splitting hairs further, this speaks volumes.

Last edited by srick; 11-12-2017 at 06:31 AM.