View Single Post
Old 03-27-2024, 05:07 PM

In over 50 years of playing stringed instruments, I've only sold two.

In 1983 I bought an Ibanez Musician electric guitar. It was physically stunning - all natural figured wood, neck through the body. Three magnetic pickups and active piezo's too. It was the first electric guitar I bought; I'd been an acoustic player for 8 years at that point and I wasn't used to the ultralight strings and jumbo frets. It required a much lighter touch than I was used to.

I came to see that I'm not really an electric guitar player, so probably 10 years ago or so I sold it to someone who really wanted it. I haven't missed it since.

I sold my first beginner level mandolin to a friend who was interested in learning. I have several better quality mandolins so I don't miss it at all.

I currently have a Michael Kelly Octave mandolin on consignment at a friend's shop. I haven't played it since I got a much better one from Tom Jessen.

Unlike the majority of those who post here, I've never been bound by any rules governing my instrument purchases or sales. But aside from impulse purchases early in life, I now only buy after some thought, research and test drives. I'm very happy enjoying what I have right now.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe