View Single Post
Old 02-27-2024, 01:13 PM

Default Any luthiers offer Scalloped Fingerboards? Recommendations?

Looking for luthier recommendations for a potential build.

I would love to find or commission an acoustic 6 string with an extended scale (baritone or maybe multi scale would be more appropriate) and a scalloped fingerboard.

Unfortunately I have seen that few luthiers offer scalloped fingerboards as an option.

The tuning would be BbFDFBbF, so quite a difference from standard tuning. 6 semitones lower for the 6th string, and one whole step higher than standard for the 1st string.
I currently have a guild baritone set up for this tuning, and while it works, its not ideal due to range of tuning and tonally its nice but its not a high end guitar.

Budget wise not a great deal, but I don't care much about exquisite artistic ornamentation (even though I greatly appreciate the artistry so many luthiers exhibit in this respect). I would like to use good tonewoods (maybe adi spruce for top - simply because I have a 12 year old Eastman adi hog dread that I adore) and would prefer a Florentine cutaway. Larger body size in the dreadnought/jumbo range. Looking in the range of 3-7k. This guitar would be played and recorded quite a bit, and for finish its ok if it sacrifices long term durability (or shine) for better resonance. Would be used for original fusion in the style of Mclaughlin with Shakti (I don't need sympathetic strings ).

-Dreadnought/Jumbo like sized body
-Florentine Cutaway
-Multiscale or Baritone scale to accomodate BbFDFBbF tuning
-Scalloped fingerboard
-Adi Spruce top
-Thin finish
-Optional arm bevel

Is this budget delusional for such an instrument?

Anyhow thanks for folks two cents.
Electrics:
Strandberg Boden Prog 7, Godin LGXT, James Tyler Variax 59 and 69p

Last edited by Jdenkevitz; 02-27-2024 at 03:32 PM.