View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 12:28 AM

Couldn't help expressing myself!

It's probably over-kill to let the strings stretch naturally on the neck for that long, instead of doing it manually. But I've been told that manually stretching the strings, instead of letting them just sit for a while under tension, causes a certain amount of damage, which shortens the lifespan of the strings ... and this in particular applies to round-core strings.

Years ago, I used to fight with tuning problems on stage. But over time, I discovered that if I strung up the guitar the day before the gig, played for a while, re-tuned ... and then let the guitar sit overnight before retuning again, I had very few tuning issues, and additionally, almost completely eliminated string breakage.

Note: I was using hex core strings then, and I did stretch the heck out of them. But I resist the urge to do this to the round-core strings (as advised by the manufacturer), and the results have been excellent.

BTW, Goofball Jones ... I don't know what Mr. Emmanuel prefers to use, but I'd be willing to level a guess that he is not using round-core strings ... and that longevity is not an issue for him, since he changes strings very regularly, obviously. I'd also be surprised if the bulk of the members that come here change strings nearly as often, if for no other reason besides the expense.

Response? ??? You may know something I don't. Always glad to learn something new, I am. No joke.

... JT