View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim View Post
The neck size/shape and the cash savings is what made me go with a recent TV model over a 60's true vintage .
The neck profile is what would make me go with a Bozeman guitar rather than an original was well.

But you also will not get the same sound as originals as the 1960s HBs had non-scallop top bracing while all of the Bozeman versions have their standard scalloped bracing.

And that is another reason why I went for the TV. I don't use a pick at all and I like to fingerpick as well as strum. I have a lighter touch so the lighter scalloped bracing works best for me. This is also the reason that I sold my wonderful Modern Classic Hummingbird in favor of the TV.

Like the Modern Classic, I bet those original 60's Hummingbirds shine under a pick and with a heavier attack.
I'm sure they pack a lot of punch and probably project a bit more. Makes me question why Gibson did not make the Bozeman Era TV versions true to original specs. I know the thin narrow neck/nut width would not have went over well. Maybe they figured the straight bracing wouldn't do well either .

So if we were thinking along the Martin line in dreadnought bracing , I guess the 60's original Hummingbirds would be like a straight braced D-28,the Modern Classic like the scalloped braced HD-28, and the TV like the lighter scalloped braced D-35 .

I know a Martin and a Gibson are worlds apart, I'm just talking bracing patterns.

I for one am glad that for the variety in such a classic , iconic design.

Last edited by Play2PraiseHim; 09-22-2014 at 06:49 PM.