Thread: NGD Atkin 19
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2024, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

After changing out the strings and spending a few hours playing, I can say I'm pumped! I went back and forth with this one on the nut size as I'm a die-hard 1 3/4" player. I spoke with Project Music about custom ordering one with a 45mm, but they reassured me that the Atkin nut difference isn't very noticeable. I can confirm that after 10 minutes of playing, I didn't notice the nut spacing anymore. Yes, there is a difference, but with the neck carve and saddle spacing, it's easy to jump between 43mm and 45mm.

I know Soups did a great video comparison and review of this guitar, and he is spot-on with everything he said. It just has a vibe to it; I can see why they say a singer-songwriter may gravitate to this guitar. It is extremely comfortable and easy to play. I was drawn to the 19 as I had a J43 and a 000E. I loved both guitars, and after reading the dimensions of the 19, I thought this would be the perfect combination. Atkins website states the 19's body is 4 7/8" deep, however it is exactly like my 000 at 4 1/8"

Sound wise it has a very balanced tone with the signature Atkin sweetness, beautiful mid range bloom but I find it to be snappier and more growl than my 000E (could be the Martin vs Gibson thing Adkin does). It doesn't have the thump of the 43 (rightful so as it is a smaller body) but does have a fuller bass than the 000E. Still need to let the strings die down some before I see what I really have but overall this one delivers again.

Now my only problem is to decide if I should sell my 000E or 000-37.