View Single Post
Old 04-16-2024, 06:00 PM

Late to the thread but I recently hooked up an acquaintance who was starting out on the electric guitar guitar with an Ibanez S-type guitar and a little practice amp I wasn't using. The amp was an Orange Crush 12, that's the 8" speaker model the Orange Crush range (no reverb or other effects).

As I was demoing it before handing it over, I was really struck by how, at living room volume levels, it's got a sweet, slightly mids-forward basic clean tone that can be heavily sculpted with the three-knob EQ controls. And for a modest overdrive grind, the separate "Overdrive" control works a treat as long as you don't turn it all the way up.

For the kinds of volume levels that type of amp is built to produce, it's really amazing what a nice piece of kit you can get for 100 bucks nowadays. And the inexpensive guitar (that cost $250 when I bought it new) was also a heck of a bang for the buck. I'm addicted to stereo amps and all kinds of delay and other pedal effects but for just sitting down and making electric guitar music, a little 8" solid state amp, a decently set up S-type guitar and some sort of delay or reverb pedal will do it beautifully.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"