View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin Guitar "Lifetime" Warranty

]Hi fellow guitar folks....Hope everyone's doing their level best this day. Are you ready for a little story?
I have a "Praise Report" regarding Martin Guitars. It all began for me back in February of 1964 (Yes, 1964.) I was the very surprised and thrilled new owner of a brand new D-18, a gift from my father on my 16th birthday. That instrument changed my life forever. The dye was cast, and I was on the road to all kinds of wonderful music, and even had the opportunity in 1968 to travel (with my college choir) to 5 different countries in Europe. Okay, let's fast forward to 2009 shall we? For years and years, the action kept creeping higher and higher, and it became obvious (to those who knew) that the old neck needed a reset, the bridge had been shaved a little too low and the saddle might as well be a piece of white string.The TONE of that 45 year old box however, is the stuff guitar dreams are made of. In other words, worth the trouble and extra expense of a neck reset, new nut, frets and bridge. My problem was, way back in 1964, I never realized (nor had my dad) that the D-18 was never "registered" with Martin, proving that in fact I am the "Original Owner." I balked at a re-set for the neck because I knew that not only am I the original owner, but that Martin stands behind their instruments 100%. I began communicating with Paula Primrose at Martin, and she came up with the idea of sending her photos of me with my guitar from back "In The Day." I was able to find three pretty good pictures of me actually playing it, or holding it. I sent along those pics, and a copy of my Ca. driver's license, and guess what? Just last week I got my "brand new" owner's card and a welcome letter from the home office, congratulating me on the purchase of my "New" D-18! It's official, yes I am the original owner (even though my father bought it) and now I am able to take that rascal to a professional for the restoration back to the 1964 "specs." Even with the "non-Scalloped" braces and the steel "T-Bar" set in that neck, the thing is still lighter than most all of the guitars I own (that would be 9 of the puppies.) It's just so fantastic that the Martin Co. has people such as Paula Primrose to assist guys like me, and she did it without question and with joy in her heart. (I can tell these things), I am so blessed to still have that old thing, and I even took off the old funky and HEAVY Grovers I'd installed some 43 years ago, replacing them with Waverly's. (Much closer to the original square back "Deluxe" tuners it came with and way lighter). So, there's your "novelette" for Friday April 3rd 2009. THANK YOU MR. MARTIN I'M ALRIGHT! (And so are YOU!) So the next time you're looking for a new guitar, think of the wonderful generous folks at Martin and give 'em a chance. I own 4 myself, and they are among the best money can buy, not to mention that warranty that really does work. Best always, cheers...1folksinger