View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 04:04 PM

Default School Me On Guild 12 Strings

So I've decided to start saving up for a 12 string. I used to own a Takamine 12 string Dread with electronics. I sold it because I didn't play it much as I found it difficult to play. If I knew then what I know now I'd have probably kept it and had a setup done on it.

Alas, I've started looking around at 12 strings that won't absolutely break the bank. My requirements are all solid wood and large body, and easy to play. I looked at the Taylor 356 and 456 and they do seem like solid, easy to play instruments, but then in my quest I came across the Guild GAD Series F-1512. Solid Sitka over solid EIR, and a Jumbo (as opposed to a GS/mini jumbo) body, at pretty much the same price point as the 356 and/or 456.

I'm thinking a jumbo body with rosewood might be more to my liking. Now, I know there's that saying if you want a guitar that plays like a Taylor buy a Taylor. I have no expectations that a Guild will play exactly like a Taylor. I would like it to play easily with low action though. I know I can get it set up, but just how easy can you make a Guild 12 play?

Any advice or information is appreciated.