View Single Post
Old 08-29-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janepaints View Post
I also have an A&L Ami Spruce, and am deeply bonded with it.

Previously I'd owned a Seagull Grand--same size body, cedar top, 14-fret neck. Never bonded with it, too much upper-midrange for my ears, whether from the cedar or 14-frets, who knows? Sold it.

And previously I'd owned TWO cedar-topped Amis--never bonded with them either. Sold 'em.

Then the spruce Ami came along and boom! The recipe perfected.

I immediately removed the awful rubbery mini-padded-toilet-seat rosette--same as every other Art & Lutherie owner I know hereabouts. A&L's 'new and improved' rosette is the only thing they've ever done which seems like a doofus move, IMO.

I liked the Ami's tone new, but fell madly, deeply, addictedly in sonic-love as the top opened up after a few years of constant playing.

Oddly, the other Ami I like--which in no longer being made--was the cherry-laminate top with plain open gears, their 'budget' Ami. Not as loud, but wonderful for blues/slide/open tunings. A few years ago I briefly owned a GREEN sunburst top-laminate Ami which I regret selling--I hope to find another, to keep in open-G tuning. IMO the green burst was lovely, in a 'who gives a hoot about tradition'? fashion. But I'd found it at the flea market for $30 and, when I was offered $150 for it, I yielded to money temptation.

Always like encountering other Ami fans (and fans of all of Godin's lines) How can ya not love a guitar whose name means 'friend' and whose maker's logo is a tree?
Maybe not so surprisingly, those all-cherry-laminate Amis sounded great and always reviewed well. And the green burst was lovely!

I love both my A&Ls, even though they're cedar-topped, along with their headstock logos, tree (especially) included, although I really like the Art&Lutherie script as well.

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)