View Single Post
Old 12-15-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
On paper specs looks good for the price - Adirondack VTS top, forward shifted scalloped X brace. Indian rosewood back and sides.

Aside from the lesser cosmetics, from a tonal quality standpoint, can it rival the higher series? Is this like a HD28E without the bling & electronics but with Adi VTS top? Whu i say this is because the HD28E also has forward shifted scalloped X bracing.

If you have one or played one, kindly share your thoughts.
I bought the first one Jon at My Favorite Guitars got in. I love mine! Before I bought it I drove 70 miles to a Martin dealer and played a D28,HD28 and HD 35. They all sounded good but decided to go on Jon's review of the DR Centennial . I have a D18 post 2012 model so I wanted a rosewood back and side dread. I also really wanted an Adirondack spruce top. The VTS was just a bonus . I emailed Martin about the bracing which they said was the same as the post 2012 D18. I've had the Centennial for a couple months now and it has become the favorite of my 2 Martin's . I do a lot of flatpicking and it is perfect for me. The bass is deep the high end is so nice and it has a great balance and volume it's also great for bluegrass rhythm . I also play a little fingerstyle I'm not real good at it but the Centennial is very nice lightly picked to. I've tried not only SP lifespan strings but SP bluegrass in 80/20 bronze, Elixir phosphor bronze and 80/20 nano's, Tony Rice Retro's and they all sound good. For the price compared to the other Martin's I tried I felt like the Centennial is a steal. It just seems for the sound and workmanship and what you get with this model it should be priced at least where the D28 is. Although I'm happy I saved $300 to $400. Yes I think the DR Centennial is a excellent Martin dread.