View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 08:47 PM

Default Classical guitar for 14 YO girl

Looking for suggestions, since it's been many years since I looked into classical models at all, let alone budget items. A coworker's daughter will be taking guitar at her school and has been told she needs a "nylon string" instrument. Her parents are freaking a bit because there are too many other items to purchase for other classes, and want to keep the cost as low as possible. I did suggest that they ask family/friends if a usable guitar is available for her to borrow. But if purchase IS required, I think THEY were hoping $100 or so...I've hinted that at least $200+ would likely be needed; maybe they'd go as high as $300 but just not sure.

I know the options in the steel string acoustic realm, but what brand(s) are even out there in classical that aren't a total joke quality or tone-wise? I've volunteered to go with her mom to Guitar Center or Sam Ash sometime this week, but it would be good to have a short list before we head out.

BTW, I think we're talking standard size instruments. Haven't met the girl, but her mother indicates her hands aren't super small, so a smaller scale won't be needed, which would surely make the search that much harder.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Dirk