View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghd View Post
It is very cold here. Made me think that despite having a CF guitar, I wouldn’t want it to sit in my car trunk all day while at work for fear of it being brittle (although I could always let it acclimate wherever I’m going). And on warm days, get too hot and perhaps deform. I realize I could take the guitar into the office for the day but I work in a public space and would have to keep an eye on it all day, so that’s not an option. I also realize that CF is not intended for direct sunlight for extended periods of time. So I ask you all for any personal or technical knowledge on a particular situation.
Presuming the guitar is safely in a hard shell case, in the trunk, not in the cabin, how long is too long on a very cold or very hot day? What is too hot or too cold? Wind chill here now is below zero, and in summer we do get above 100. I would appreciate knowing, especially if these limits have been tested.
If anyone knows, you all will. Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I recall Ted saying he left one of his CF guitars in his SUV so he'd always have it available. Southern California area. Apparently, no issue..
Hi John,

Jim is correct, I do like to leave a CF, or Ekoa guitar in my SUV, and not just in LA. We also own homes in the local mountains, and in the desert so the inside of my SUV can be anywhere from the teens to over 100 depending on the time of year, and where we are.

One winter I lent my CA OX to my neighbor in Big Bear before driving back to LA, so I told him to leave it in my wood shed when he was done. The guitar spent several week in the shed where temps were between 10 and 30 degrees. One especially cold spring up in Big Bear I decided I was done with winter, so we drove down to Palms Springs where it was in the high 80's. In two hours my Blackbird Rider went from freezing in a snow covered SUV to hanging with me poolside in the blazing sun. Speaking of sun, Helene and I spend most weekends in the summer out on the lake, and we always bring a CF or Ekoa guitar. So far leaving them in the sun has not been a problem.

Note that I'm not suggesting you abuse your guitar, but if you use common sense, owning a high quality CF or Ekoa guitar should be a carefree experience.