View Single Post
Old 04-02-2024, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

I like Zillio and his videos. I haven’t opted for his big course either. It probably is good, I think he knows a lot and teaches pretty effectively and is entertaining.

After about 3 years so far learning guitar, however, I have come to the opinion that I have already put more time into learning guitar theory than is probably helpful at this stage.

Learning theory over time will (I presume) add to how you play, write and perceive music. Learning too much of it early in your “journey” is likely premature as it will not mesh with your abilities. They will best proceed in tandem, which means slowly.

What I need is to play songs, learn the skills required to play them and learn a bit about how the cord/note relations go in the song if I want to expand my understanding.

It does help to understand why the notes are there and how they relate to each other. But trying to “master the fretboard” or learning “Complete chord Mastery” puts the cart before the horse. They don’t help much if you can’t play anything.