View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 05:49 PM

Default Silvercreek T-160 arrived today... I'm shocked!

I, like so many other folks were not expecting much in these guitars. I got in in 2.5 days f being shipped. Packed great, secure and professionally. I just could not believe the build quality of this guitar upon first inspection. VERY clean... No slop on the finish anywhere. The fret work is as good or better than anything out there I have played. The wood selection is so good. I wish some of my other guitars looked like this. Book matched, tight grained top. Gorgeous mahogany back and sides... yes it looks Honduran/South American. The top has a Martin like vintage toner that looks "Urnge" as they say here in the south. Its ok I guess. Tuners look nice and work well. Bone nut and saddle. Stock setup was like any other new guitar. Truss rod wrench turn and sanded/took down some height off the saddle. Still needs to be broken in and played. Neck feels great... Not as much of a "V" as I thought it would be.

During the first hour I was not impressed with the sound. Thin, tight, Asian rim sounding blah blah blah. I adjusted the truss rod again, put the Tone Rite on it and went to run some errands. I came back picked it up and tuned it. First strum already it was a different guitar from when I first took it out. It needed to acclimate some and still does. I still have the stock D'Addario's on it. I want to wait for it to sit with its little vibrating friend for a couple of days before changing them. I have some EJ16's I will put on it. The stock ones say D'Addario, but I think they are just a cheap, stock string. They don't feel like EJ's, but I could be wrong. Either way their gone in a day or two. I was going to change the bridge pins, but no real need. Yes they are cheap, but I have experimented with bridge pins so many times I just don't see the value in changing them unless they break or to change the looks. But that's me.

I did not get the case with it, but ordered it today and still got a deal an free shipping (and an additional discount as if I bought it at the same time as the guitar) Should get it soon!

Mine did NOT come with a pick guard... I thought it was supposed to. Doesn't matter. I probably would have taken it off anyway. It is almost sick how nice and clean this guitar is for under two bills. It'sa neat little compliment to my new Breedlove American which is just SUPERB!

I will try to post pics. Thanks for all the reviews other wrote to help me justify this purchase. It is now my only small body since I sold my Cargo and Parlor, but it surely fits the bill for what I need.