View Single Post
Old 04-22-2024, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
I've listened to them both, and they definitely have mojo.

FWIW - I thought that pinball wizard was recorded on a Trident A. Maybe I'm misremembering that?
He doesn't specifically say he used Helios for Pinball wizard...and Pinball was recorded 69. and "The first Helios mixing console was commissioned by Keith Grant for Olympic Studios' new Studio Two in 1969, where the console was used to record projects by Jimi Hendrix, Procol Harum, Led Zeppelin, Traffic, The Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, and others." hmmm? So I think you are right, maybe not for Pinball Wizard.

Quote with a 2021 interview from Pete Townsend: 12th paragraph down after
Let’s Hear from Pete Townshend Himself

"Glyn’s best trick was with acoustic guitars. Especially with my J–200 with Tune-o-matic metal bridges — Keith Richards had the same guitar. (“Wild Horses“ is where you hear that Stones’ sound at its best). Glyn set the microphone up unusually far away from the sound hole, sometimes as much as 9 inches. Even more sometimes. He used Neumann U 67s rather than smaller capsules like KM 84s that other engineers preferred. He used Helios 69 mic-pre modules (78s on “Won’t Get Fooled“), a tiny amount of 2.4 and 10k, and a touch of the small Helios in-console compressor that was made by Audio & Design, a UK company. By the way, the 500 Series ADR compressor is a really good copy of that Helios compressor and sounds terrific on acoustic."

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/ic...t1-guitar-bass

Last edited by AcousticDreams; 04-23-2024 at 12:25 AM.