View Single Post
Old 10-25-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rforman15 View Post
To deny it, is to deny there is anything characteristic in the tone of Martin Guitars. I certainly don't want my Martin to not have that design element. it would no longer be characteristic of what Martin is famous for.
I strongly disagree. There are many elements that make up the signature sound of any guitar, starting with the design, bracing, and construction of the top. There is neck mass, back bracing, tonewood, how the wood is cured (or not), mass of the bridge, how the top is connected to the sides--I would wager all of these have more impact on tone than the neck joint.

That the dovetail joint is all wood and no metal would be my guess as to any tonal differences one might lend to a guitar. A solid (or not) connection is a solid connection. And I'd pony up serious money to have people take a blind test on 100 guitars and tell me which ones were dovetail and which weren't.

Quote:
Let me ask you this, why do the less expensive Martins not include this design, why? because it's less expensive to use the other method. and if they thought the other method is just as good and less expensive to build, why not just build all Martin guitars that way. It does make a difference which is why Martin is still building them with the dove tail.
Or because the market won't let them. Because lot of people believe it would be a difference in quality or tone to do it differently, evidence aside.

You have people going on the rampage about wings on a headstock in the Martin world--it's traditionalism and that's OK, but let's not mistake it for empirical fact.

Last edited by surfoxy; 10-25-2008 at 04:02 PM.